Skip to main content

United We Stand

It was a winter night. There was no moon in the sky, but a broken streetlight was oscillating in the brisk wind. I looked around. Everyone in the houses around was asleep. Somewhere, I could hear the T.V. blaring a late-night show. The spectacled watchman Babu was trying to keep awake, striking his bamboo stick on the concrete floor, counting moments until sunrise, lest his bon-fire blows away.

The wind was slow but it was cold, and my teeth started chattering. Whine looked at me, and then at Bisha who snuggled beside Bowwo. He then said,

Wow… what a peaceful sleep these guys are having… and look at us… staying awake all night just because some jackass warned us about the Outsiders…”

“Whine, they watched the area all day… now we are replacing them in the night”, I replied.

“Why only we have got to do the tough stuff every time? I can’t sleep in the daytime in all these noises, and in the night I have to freakin’ nightwatch! This is unfair… I need a change… And look at these two… their life is so easy!”.

“You don’t want your younger brother and sister to stay awake all night in these dangerous times while you sleep peacefully, do you?” I replied.

“Let me tell you one thing. If Blacky wouldn’t have left, that means, if You hadn’t driven him away from this place, we wouldn’t have faced This!”

Whine was in a complaining mood tonight. I looked at him. His eyes were full of fear. May be he was afraid. Or may be he was nervous. Whatever it was, It made me feel he was unconfident about himself. And I also felt that he didn’t have trust on me. Being an elder is the biggest drawback – You have to make others feel confident about themselves, even though you don’t believe in yourself.

We are four dogs (puppies, actually) living in this dingy street where the days are noisy, full of human-generated sounds, and the nights are creepy because creatures with a supremacy complex come to drive us out of this place, to grab our area, and to relish our food. Tonight, we got a message from a friend who lives outside the street:

Beware, for tonight the Outsiders are coming this way!”

Believing him was necessary, because we regretted once when we didn’t. We’ve got no relatives, no friends, no one, and since mom died, there is no one to protect us. All of a sudden things changed, and we didn’t know what to do. Finally, we learnt the trick. They can beat one of us, but not all of us. So, we face this challenge together, Bisha and Bowwo guarding during the day when our human friends are wide awake, and me and Whine, during the night, when the things are dark and uncertain.

I hope this night ends soon…

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why blog?

Mark Twain said, "I can live without food for [n] days, but I can't live a single day without praise." He lost lost wife and three daughters in a very short term. He was then alone. In loneliness, he wrote the darkest of his works, "The Mysterious Stranger" (unfinished). One of the quotes from it is: " In a little while you will be alone in shoreless space, to wander its limitless solitudes without friend or comrade forever--for you will remain a thought, the only existent thought, and by your nature inextinguishable, indestructible. But I, your poor servant, have revealed you to yourself and set you free. Dream other dreams, and better!...You perceive, now, that these things are all impossible except in a dream. You perceive that they are pure and puerile insanities, the silly creations of an imagination that is not conscious of its freaks - in a word, that they are a dream, and you the maker of it. The dream-marks are all present; you should have recogniz

The Guest from Deep Inside.

Sunrise. Birds chirp. Trees exhale oxygen. Suddenly I hear a scream. I woman was pointing at the ground. "A snake! A snake!", she frantically cried. It wasn't a snake. Snakes have removable foreskin. This creature was way too slimy and slippery to be a snake. I know what it was. It was an earthworm; disoriented earthworm. It dragged itself on the dry floor, leaving behind marks of its wet body. Someone said, "Kill it!". I didn't. I just waited until it coiled itself, and inserted a piece of paper beneath it. It was trying to escape off from the other side. A chill passed by my heart. I held the paper with shaky hands, and carried it away with the worm on it. I threw it in the bushes nearby and bid him good day. "It will come again!", my mother said. "Not on the dry land, mom, not again... ", I smirked. Things digging themselves out of deep-within can't panic me.

Sometimes I feel like shit

 Today is one of those days when I feel like shit.  I feel I have wasted my entire life.  I could have been better. I would have earned more.  I could have done a lot of things. But right now I am just helpless.  I don't want to be helpless. Probably, I need a mentor but no mentor will guide me. I am a heavy kite that can go out of control in strong winds and lesser winds won't work for me.  I need to work on something. Please tell me, do you have any idea?